Monday, October 4, 2010

Brazilian Jiu Jitsu

A few weeks ago, I volunteered with BYUSA, the student service association here, by handing out brownies on Brigham Square during the annual club fair called Involvapalooza. BYU brownies are the bomb.com, and the smell of 20 pans of deliciously frosted brownies was amazing. Unfortunately, they were so popular I didn't even get to eat one! Oh well.

As I was cleaning up the pans, making trips across the patio to various full-to-the-brim trash cans, I noticed a demonstration going on with a small crowd of people around a large mat. The guy speaking shouted, "I'm gonna need a guy and girl volunteer!" As I passed this demonstration again, I walked slower this time because I was curious as to what was going to happen. A guy I recognized from FOL had volunteered, but no girls were stepping forward. So I thought to myself, "self, what the heck, I'll just volunteer". So I stepped forward and said "I'll do it!" After almost successfully flipping someone on their back, I learned that this was the Brazilian Jiu Jitsu Club. I thought it was kinda cool, so I went over to their booth to check it out.

Their "booth" consisted of a table with a sign up sheet, a few folding chairs strewn with socks, shoes, and various other articles of clothing, and most importantly, a large mat. I expressed my interest to the people already there, and they taught me a few basic moves such as triangle, arm bar, and rear naked choke. I couldn't get enough! All I wanted to do was learn more and more!

That night, I went to my first practice. I don't remember many details, but I do remember having to sign a waver. I don't know what it is about Brazilian Jiu Jitsu, but I love it so much! I guess it's sort of a love/hate relationship as it is with most sports. It's hot. It's sweaty. It's physically exhausting. It hurts. But for some reason unbeknownst to me, I keep going and I keep rolling. Even when I know I'm about to be put into submission by some 200 pound dude. I can't wait to get to the point where I can consistently win!

No comments:

Post a Comment