Tuesday, October 5, 2010

Barefoot Running


About a year ago, a good friend told me that she had started running...BAREFOOT. I thought she was crazy. Why would you ever want to do that? She insisted that it had solved her knee problems, and made her shins hurt less. I was skeptical to say the least.
This summer I ran pretty much everyday. With running shoes of course. This semester I tried to continue this pattern as best I could -- sleep schedule permitting. Then one day, one of my running buddies expressed his interest in trying barefoot running. Another lunatic!
Well...I don't know what made me change my mind, but I tried it! We ran almost 3 miles barefoot. The worst part is that it hurts the balls of my feet. Especially when I step on a poky stick or other such sidewalk debris. The lack of shoe forces you to run on your toes, and therefore you use your calves a lot more than normal running. I am pretty sore down there, that is for sure. But I think the pain in my feet keeps my mind focused on something other than breathing. I kind of like it!

2 comments:

  1. Hahaha yes! Just think how sculpted your calves will be after just a little while. I concentrate on form so much more now. Look at the 2nd sentence of your post..made me think, "I'm not leestening to you, you're crrazy".

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey my pilates teacher tried this with some transition shoes so that you could eventually start runing barefoot. She said it sucked, but apparently its the best thing for your feet out there.

    ReplyDelete